Here’s what we’ve done in the kitchen since we moved in almost a year ago:
– ripped out one kitchen cabinet and replaced it with a wood hutch
– repaired missing tile/baseboard
– replaced the broken dishwasher with a new one
– painted the upper and lower cabinets, trim, walls, and ceiling
– replaced the cabinet pulls
– replaced the light fixtures
– installed a couple of pull-out shelves inside the cabinets
And here’s what that looks like:
When we ripped out the cabinet that was where the hutch is now, you might remember we were left with a big hole. Like so.
There was no way to easily fix the entire hole, but we managed to find an old piece of baseboard and some extra floor tile to repair the far right side. That enabled us to scoot the hutch away from the trim a few inches, which is a big improvement over having it slammed up against the door trim.
We didn’t bother with mortar and grout since our eventual plan involves ripping out the floor.
Here’s a budget breakdown:
Dishwasher $ 600
Wall paint (BM Chantilly Lace) $0 (leftover from hallway)
Upper cabinet/trim paint (BM Advance in Chantilly Lace) $100
Upper cabinet knobs (these from D. Lawless) $40
Lower cabinet paint (BM Advance in Hearthstone) $50
Lower cabinet pulls (these from Home Depot) $90
Wood Hutch (Craigslist) $125
Grand Total: $1,555
I’m pretty happy with the end result. Obviously I’d love to have a new floor, and new counters, and new cabinets that extend all the way to the ceiling. But there’s no way I could have done all that for 1,500 bucks. That’s a lot of money to spend on a what I hope will be a temporary fix, but a large chunk of that went to buy the dishwasher and ceiling fixtures. And I plan to reuse those when we finally do redo the kitchen. So not a bad deal.
Here’s what we have left to do:
– replace the faucet and broken sprayer
– cover existing toe kick with new wood painted to match the lower cabinets (which will also cover the tile that the handyman chipped when he was trying to remove the old dishwasher)
– build or buy a slightly larger island?